Reasons Why You Should Never Christmas Shop Last Minute

1) Because it's a stupid idea and literally every other person on the planet has the same idea.

2) Everything you're looking for will be out of stock.

3) Traffic and road rage is crazier than usual.

4) People are assholes.

5) You just shouldn't do it... period.


As I'm sure you can tell some last minute shopping took place yesterday. Man... it was insane. From cars nearly crashing on the highway, losing mustard not once, but twice to frantically searching for cream cheese. As one of my least favorite Instagram influencers says: It's been a doozy of a day, ya'll!

So I'll start by saying that the original plan was to go to Poplar Bluff yesterday afternoon to finish up our Christmas shopping. It was mainly because we couldn't find many gifts this year for my uncle, but we also literally had to get everything we needed for Christmas dinner as well. There was one other thing that we were specifically looking for, which I called Tuesday and asked and was told that there were some in stock. Guess what... when I called yesterday they were all magically gone!

Didn't find this out until we were 15 miles in the wrong direction, but we did see a Bald Eagle, which was a bonus. 

This is when the plan changed. We decided to go to Farmington instead and hit up Fredericktown Walmart along the way because said item was in stock there. So we had to drive all the way out 34 and hit 67. This added like 45 minutes to our travel time, which sucked. This is also when the car in the opposing lane lost control and slid all the way out in the median. It did a full 360 at about 70 mph and eventually made it back up on the highway. Surprisingly, there was a cop parked not 1/4 mile down the road who proceeded to turn his lights on and approach the car. We lost sight after that, so I'll never know the full story.

Made it to Fredericktown after that excitement and picked up the item with no issues and then headed to Farmington. Farmington was PACKED! Like every store was packed, which came as no surprise considering Christmas was only 4 days away. I think we got to Farmington around 5:30is. maybe a little later. I'm not going to go into detail as to what happened inside Walmart, but we didn't leave that store until after 9, which was insane.

One of the main items we needed for Christmas dinner was cream cheese. Needed that for the cheesecake, two different pies, pumpkin bar icing and dip. Naturally, they were all sold out - even sold out of the name brand! That's when moods changed and I started to panic. I called around to the nearest Walmart because all the local markets were closed. It said in the app that cream cheese was in stock in Desloge, but it said the same thing about Farmington, so I decided to call. Of course, no one could help, so we just had to pray that the app wasn't lying.

I would like to add that my foot was SO jacked last night and literally felt like glass grinding into my bones. I had to limp around for most of the night because I was in such pain.

After we left there I asked LaVaughn if she would run in Dollar Tree for me, which she did, then we made our was to Desloge Walmart where the shopping commenced. They had 9 out of 10 things that we needed, including cream cheese, thank God! It was a bitch to find, though. I ended up peeking through the cooler and asked some poor kid if they had any cream cheese back there, which he kindly agreed to look for. All they had was Philadelphia, but I wasn't complaining. This was after running around for 10 minutes trying to find it, mind you. When I turned around to find LaVaughn with the cart, another worker had showed her to the Great Value brand cream cheese, which we wanted because it's 10 times cheaper. We needed 8 blocks, which is around $12 for off brand. Paying for name brand would've cost almost $20.

We also planned on just getting bread and lunchmeat to eat on the way home. So at the first Walmart we got some coarse ground mustard. Well when we were trying to put all the food in the backseat of the car, it was nowhere to be found. Then we ended up having to buy more at the second Walmart, but it was just plain yellow mustard. We get out to the car and try to put it in the backseat as well... couldn't find it. Luckily when LaVaughn was making the sandwiches as I was going in the gas station she found both.

It was a little after midnight when we got home, which sucked. We were so tired and exhausted, but thank God we were able to finish shopping. I think I've rambled on enough, until next time!


I leave you with a picture of my delicious birthday cake that my aunt made me.

No comments: