Storm of the century...

Before you worry too much, I did exaggerate the title a teeny bit. That doesn't, however, alter the fact that we got every bit of ice that the news called for.

I woke up yesterday evening around 2 (yes I slept late, so sue me) and the electricity was on. I got up, brushed my teeth, got some clean clothes so that I could shower and then came to check emails and so on. By the time I got to the computer, it was 2:30. Just as I turned it on and got a web page open, the power flickered on and off. My mind automatically went into worry mode, my heart beating ever so hard while I begged for it not to be true.

It stayed on for about 5 more minutes and then flickered on and off again until it stayed off entirely.

My aunt - who lives just down the road - came down to stay with us. Her husband is a truck driver and is never home, so she definitely didn't need to stay in the cold, alone!

Hours 3:00PM - 5:00 PM

By this time, not only were we dying for some coffee, but so was our aunt. Luckily, she had her little propane stove with her so we were able to heat up some water for coffee. The downside, we had to pour it through the filter ourselves.

LaVaughn was in charge of all this, so my aunt and I stood idly buy like a pair of starving vultures waiting on their next meal to die. It definitely took a lot longer for the water to make its way through the filter and coffee, about 20 minutes longer than your average coffee pot, but the wait was well worth it.

Then we sat.

Hours 5:00PM - 6:00PM

We were worried sick about the gliders being hungry and cold, so we decided to stuff everyone's face with mealies and yoggies. We also insulated their pouches so that they would be warm. We sat with them for nearly an hour feeding them and keeping them warm.

Hours 6:00PM to 7:00PM

By this time, we were all getting pretty hungry, so we dined on a meal of cold ham and cheese sandwiches along with some nice crisp chips and a refreshing Pepsi.

Then we sat.

Hours 7:00PM - 10:00PM

By this time, sheer and utter boredom had completely rooted itself inside my brain and there was no going back. Honestly, boredom sat in about .5 seconds after the electricity went off, so you can imagine.

During this time, my aunt sat and rocked in the recliner, LaVaughn moved from the floor to the couch more times than I could count, and I sat and played in the candle wax. All the while getting yelled at by my aunt who thought I was going to burn myself. Good times!

Hours 10:00PM - 11:00PM

We were all bored to death and my aunt was getting tired, so we decided to have yet another cup of coffee. This time, we had it out of a percolator! Boy was that fun to watch.

Then we sat.

Hours 11:00PM - 3:30AM

These hours were spent doing absolutely nothing. LaVaughn, with her repetitive ways, spend the entire time moving from the floor to the couch and back again. My aunt sat in the chair the entire time and chain smoked (yes Sharon, you need to quit!). Again, I spent the majority of the time playing in candle wax.

I actually constructed this really neat horned object that I wear on my finger. I'll have to be sure to take a photo of it when I get a chance.

Hours 3:30AM - 4:30AM

By this time, my aunt had to call it quits. She had been awake for nearly 22 hours, but needed to rest. LaVaughn and I spent the next hour watching an episode of Supernatural on one of our dying computer. Hey, at least we were able to get one episode in!

Hours 4:30AM - 6:30AM

These hours were spent sitting, nodding off and bitching about the electricity. I've begged and pleaded, all to no avail. Oh well, what can you do.

At 6:30AM, LaVaughn and I both called it a night and went to sleep, just as my aunt was waking up.

When I woke up just a little bit ago, I noticed a beautiful, glowing red light on the phone at the head of the bed. Then I looked a little to the left to see the display on the alarm clock read 12:55PM. My eyes lit up with light and laughter as I leaped from the bed.

I don't even think my feel touched the floor, I pretty much just flew.

I walked into the kitchen to find my aunt, freshly showered, applying her makeup at the table. She went on to tell me that the electricity came back on at noon. And believe it or not, she took a nap on the couch from 10:30 to noon! I was so proud of her.

Now that the electricity is back on (fingers crossed), it's time for a much needed shower and trip to town. We need to stock up on this stat!

I will leave you with pictures that I took yesterday of all the ice. I didn't get many, as it was too cold to stand outside for more than 5 minutes, so the selection is grim. Hope you enjoy.

Love & Peace

-Megan

Ice Storm Photos:














Flames!



A poor man's coffee:




No comments: