Gardening/Sprout Update

 Thought I would do a quick update of the seedlings, since I have nothing better to do at the moment. There may or may not have been several more seeds planted Tuesday, but I think you all know the answer to that. I'm the worst with planting seeds. I always try to justify it by saying, "Well only half will sprout.", but that's sometimes not the case. Like last year, for example, all 20+ zucchini seeds sprouted and flourished, which left us with dozens and dozens of zucchini that got pickled, frozen, eaten and given away. We wanted to scale back on the squash this year, so we only have like 15 zucchini seeds planted.

The tomatoes and cucumbers are a different story. All 24 of the cherry tomato seeds have sprouted and 11 of the 12 regular tomato seeds have sprouted. I've lost count of the regular cucumbers, but they're doing excellent! I think out of all of them, the lemon cucumbers look the best. They're growing like crazy and are super hearty.

Even under the UV lamps, the garage is still a very cold place. It hasn't really been warm at all, so it's keeping the soil at a frigid temperature, which is why the pepper seeds and others aren't growing. I'm hoping after the next couple days the rising temps will jumpstart their growth. I did see some activity in the long sweet pepper section, which are the seeds I dried myself. I'm really, really hoping they grow and produce! *fingers crossed*

Still on the growing subject, I decided to turn our horrible Moscow Mule mugs into little planters. We got them at Five Below a few years ago to drink coffee out of... worst decision ever! They're copper, so they hold heat and cold exceptionally well. Too well, if I'm being honest. It's my own fault, though - they're meant for icy beverages, not scalding hot coffee that peels away at your lip skin. 

So yeah, definitely a good decision to turn them into planters.

I went to the local Dollar General yesterday to look through their seed section. It's never a good idea to send me anywhere alone where seeds or plants are involved. Luckily they're incredibly cheap (like 2 or 4 for a $1 cheap), so me being the terribly indecisive person that I am left with only 4 different varieties of seeds. Since I couldn't make up my mind, the average height of the fully grown flowers did that for me. So I'm now hoping that our old Moscow Mule mugs will be home to some beautiful Alyssum flowers in the coming weeks.

I'd like to add that I fully intend on planting the other 3 seed packs in larger pots - maybe even directly into the ground, which is where they need to be. I guess we'll see how the soil looks and if there are any spots available. 

Okay, I'm going to call it quits for now. We have lots of Easter Dinner prep to do today for our early Easter Dinner tomorrow. My uncle will be home tomorrow, as will LaVaughn and I, so tomorrow is really the only day we have where we can all be together. LaVaughn and I are both working the entire weekend, plus we have dinner with our Perryville family Sunday. I don't know that I'll blog anymore this week, so if not, Happy Easter and God bless.


Beautiful cucumber sprout.

Another cucumber trying to emerge from the soil.

More cucumbers.

Look at all the little cherry tomato sprouts. They'll definitely have to be thinned soon.

Some of the regular tomato sprouts.

Lemon cucumber sprouts.

The new planter tray, equipped with labels.

As you can see, the new planted tray is fully loaded with hopeful seeds.

Here are the Alyssum seeds that I planted in the Moscow Mule mugs.

The pretty, brass Moscow Mule mugs turned planters.

I can't wait to see the Alyssum's sprout from these mugs. Fingers crossed!

I think the brassy color will make a good base for the pastel flowers.

No comments: