Happy Easter!

 Just thought I would hop on here real quick to say Happy Easter and give a quick update. I think I've mentioned that we have chickens again, if not, now you know. We got them around this time last year from our cousin, Scott. The poor chickens and single rooster were all in rough shape. Their feet were infected and a couple of them had to stay in little hospital cages with their feet wrapped.

Fast-forward to the past few months where we lost a couple due to old age. This left us with 5 hens and 1 rooster. Well Friday evening, someone pulls up in an unfamiliar side-by-side to let us know that his dogs got out and ventured all the way over from BB highway (about 3 miles) and killed our chickens. Apparently our (good) neighbor, Ray, called the guy and let him know. 

There were feathers everywhere and no chickens to be found, only our rooster was in sight and he looked dead. He wasn't, but he was badly injured and ended up passing yesterday. Emotions were high that day and tempers were hot, but the owner of the dogs was really polite and offered money for the chickens, which we declined. Our rooster is the only one we lost, all 5 hens lived, thank God. 

We literally just started saving eggs to incubate the day before, so it was really kind of weird that everything happened when it did. I did some searching last night on Craigslist, of all places, and found someone in Farmington that had like 5 roosters for sale. I contacted her and she sent me photos of all the roosters with prices. LaVaughn and I were both drawn to the same one, so I made arrangements to pick him up tomorrow evening. 

There's also a lady in Farmington that has fertile eggs for sale for $8 a dozen, which I'm hoping we can get tomorrow as well. I contacted someone here in Perryville yesterday about their fertile eggs and she wanted a whopping $40 for a dozen. Um... no thank you! That's the most ridiculous price I've ever heard of. So hopefully everything works out tomorrow and we get our rooster and a dozen eggs for the incubator. 

I guess that's all for now, I hope everyone has a blessed day and a Happy Easter!

This is the rooster that we will hopefully be getting tomorrow. He's a Dark Brahma.


No comments: