Operation Sprout Separation

 That title is all kinds of wonky and a bit of a tongue twister, it's just what popped in my mind, so I'm going with it. So the vast majority of the cucumber sprouts are outgrowing their nursery and as the title says, it's time to separate. 

When we plant basically anything, we always put at least two seeds in one slot so that we're (hopefully) guaranteed a sprout. Well apparently all of the seeds decided to sprout and do well, so pretty much every planter has two fully developed cucumber sprouts. Same goes for the lemon cucumbers and my precious peppers. 

I know it's recommended to cut back the unhealthy looking sprouts, but I'm telling you, these guys all look amazing. So I spent the better part of two hours carefully and gently separating each comb pack of sprouts. I think upon my original calculation of cucumbers, we were at 30 plants, not including the lemon cucumbers. Well by the time we were done, we ended up with 34 individual cucumber plants and that's NOT including the ones that are still in the nursery because we ran out of paper planters! And out of the 18+ lemon cucumbers, we only have 4 separated. 

I'm telling you, we way overshot the cucumbers. Like we always say, not all of them will sprout. Well, we were wrong again this year and all but like 2 didn't sprout. That's okay, though, we still have to see how well they do outside of the nursery before we know for sure just how many cucumber plants we actually have. 

Since I've been a bit rushed today, here's a picture of the separated cucumber sprouts from my phone. I know it's taboo for me to share iPhone photos, but it's all I have.


Here's most of the separated cucumbers. And no, there's no tag because I really don't have time.

No comments: