Dandelion Seedhead Macro (w/plant updates)

 I feel like I literally only blog about gardening anymore, which seems like it might be kind of annoying - I mean, if I'm blogging about it and getting frustrated, as a reader it has to be much worse. Even though I originally planned to share gardening updates first, I'm not. Instead, I'm going to talk about taking photos, which takes up 75% of my blog.

Since I got my macro lens for Christmas, I've been extremely limited as to what I can take photos of outdoors. I know I've mentioned this in previous posts, but it's true. Don't get me wrong, I can find literally anything to take pictures of, but I like to mix it up with some nice flowers or bugs every once in a while. This was the cast late yesterday evening when I found an abundance of dandelion seedheads strewn about the yard.

Subjects like this is where the macro lens excels. I see macro shots all the time of dandelion seedheads or similar subjects and I've always wanted to mimic those shots, but just couldn't get that 1:1 ratio that I so badly needed. I had around 10 or more pics of the fluffy little puffballs, but I cut it back considerably - you only need so many pictures of the same thing, which is my kryptonite. 

In gardening news, I separated 4 of what seems like 3000 cherry tomato sprouts. Talk about a tedious job! We don't need 70% of what we have planted, so part of me just wants to throw them all out, but there's just something in me that won't allow it. We also got more stuff planted in the garden today: spinach, onions, radishes and even saved a spot for some okra. Tonight is rock picking up night in the lower garden... yay.

You haven't had a workout until you've picked up rock for hours at a time.

In other news, we have around 20 eggs in our incubator. This past Monday was the one week mark, so if any of the eggs are fertile - I think quite a few might be - they should start hatching around the 26th or so. We did the whole candling test Tuesday, but it was really hard to tell so soon. We're gonna try again tonight and go from there.

So far we have 8 eggs from a guy in Farmington that we bought last week and 12 from our rooster that was murdered by the asshole dogs. I'm really hoping some of our eggs from him hatch.

Geez, I feel like I'm all over the place right now. My mind hasn't been in the right place since Sunday. I had a horrible anxiety attach and the ripple effect is still effecting me. I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but... I. Hate. Anxiety!

That's all I have to say about that. Actually, I think that concludes this blog. Until next time.

Beautiful dandelion seedhead.

This is what I'm talking about. I love dandelion seedhead macro shots.

Seriously the prettiest weed.

Another rando weed.

More dandelion seedhead. The 40mm Nikkor is great for shots like this.

This is the inside of a dandelion seedhead. The 40mm Nikon macro lens is amazing.

Baby cherry tomatoes I separated.

So far so good (fingers crossed).

Massive zucchini.

They grow so big, so fast.

More cherry tomatoes.

Lemon cucumbers and regular tomatoes.

No comments: