When it rains, it comes a hurricane...

Today has been one for the books. It was literally one thing after the other today. What is it about March? Why is this such a cursed month for us? Remember last March, we lost David and had several other things go wrong as well.

Today started horribly. I woke up to Chelsea lying on the cage floor, dying. She was on her side, laboring and just... dying. I wrapped her up in a towel so that I could hold her, but that made her very uneasy and nervous -- she even tried to jump out of the towel. I just laid her back down in her cage with the towel under and around her.

Today is also the day we were having Melissa put down. Her inoperable mammary tumors are just too big anymore, she can barely walk. The decision to have Chelsea put down as well was an easy one. Thank God my aunt took them for us, I don't know what we would have done if she wouldn't have. I know it's cowardly, but I just can't face it.

After we picked the puppies up at the vet, we got our two joeys neutered, Neville and Evan. I was a nervous wreck, for obvious reasons, so that made the neuters even worse for me. It didn't help that Evan was scared to death and overly grooming himself. I just knew he was going to tear something lose. It took him over an hour to finally stop and sleep.

When we got home, we fed the gliders and were taking the dishes in the glider room when LaVaughn heard a joey crying. We have 4 on the way, but NONE are ready to be OOP yet, so you can imagine my surprise. LaVaughn looked up at Chloe and Boone's cage and saw their tiny little leu boy clinging to the cage bars, crying. She quickly grabbed him and warmed him up in her hands.

I immediately noticed how skinny he looked, so I got our wonky gram scale out and weighed him. He weighed in at a jaw dropping 8 grams! It didn't take us long to make the decision to put Chloe in a cage by herself and monitor how she was doing with him and how well he was eating. It'll also give us the opportunity to feed her some extra protein for a few days.

This joey just doesn't look good. He's so tiny and sickly looking.

On top of all this, we're puppy sitting our aunt's puppies. They need to be watched closely overnight because of their incision. Max is being terrible and trying to nip at himself, so they really can't be left alone.

At the end of the day, I'm left with shattered nerves, a terrible headache, and a terrible loss in my heart. I just want the day to be over so I can put some of this crap behind me.

-Megan

Just look at how depressed she is.

I can't even imagine.

Not that it matters, but here's some of the awesome fruit we got for the gliders.

No comments: