Goodbye, old friend...

This unbelievably gorgeous and sweet boy had to be put to sleep today. My heart is breaking in two right now.


He has been a part of our family for almost 17 years. I still remember the day we got him. It was a cold December night in 1999. We had heard of a "kennel" out in the middle of nowhere that had a bunch of puppies up for adoption. What was supposed to be a kennel turned into a run down cage with over a dozen different puppies inside. All were different breeds, underweight and sickly. Fletcher stood out from the crowd and was the first puppy I picked up. There was something special about him, even then. I even surpassed my favorite breed to get him. 


It was a long road of recovery for him as he was nearly on his death bed when we got him home. We've had over 16 wonderful and happy years with this old man, but he's been suffering the last couple months and putting him to sleep was the best thing for him, even thought it was the last thing we wanted to do. Tumors had spread to his lungs, liver and his kidneys were starting to shut down. He's taken a big piece of my heart with him, but he will never be forgotten. 


I love you so much, Fletcher. I know that you're not suffering now and we couldn't ask for anything more.


1999-2016

No comments: