The reason why I hate going to the vet...

Well today was our big appointment day for the cats. Since Zoe is FIV+ and Una had high blood sugar levels last time she was at the vet, a check up was in order. And not to mention, I've noticed Zoe has been drinking a LOT of water lately. Naturally, I went into panic mode and started doing tons of research. The thing that popped in my head was kidney disease. I just kept playing that over and over until I made myself sick.

I've also been worried about how lumpy Zoe's scar was where she had her tumor removed.

Anyways, so we're at the vet, we're waiting -- anyone who has been to the vet knows what the waiting process is like. I was a nervous wreck! Ask LaVaughn. My heart was pounding, I was sick, I know my blood pressure had to be through the roof! Our appointment was for 5PM, we got there around 4:30 and ended up getting called back around 5:25ish.

The vet talked to us before she did any labs, asked us why we were there and wrote down some information. She took Una back to draw her blood first, then she brought her back for her exam. She got Zoe after that and took her back for her labs. She brought Zoe back and did an exam on her as well. Thankfully she didn't feel anything on Zoe's tummy, just lots of scar tissue from where she took so much fat.

Then the real waiting game started! It seemed like we were back there for hours! It didn't help that it was late and that there was an older couple there with 5+ cats that all had some type of URI. The vet and techs were in and out of that room up until after we left.

She came by once and told us Una's blood sugar was still high and that she wanted to run a thyroid test. Everything else of Una's was fine. About 20 minutes later -- this is around 6:25 by now, they supposedly close at 6:30 -- a lady came in with some Hill's Prescription samples of weight management dry food. I asked her if Zoe's results were back yet, then she replied "The vet will be in to discuss everything with you." My heart sank.

The vet came in a little while later and started explaining the results. She started by saying that Zoe's kidneys were showing some signs of distress. Her CRE was 3.2 and her BUN was 74. These are both too high and are signs of kidney disease. Luckily her phosphorus was good, that's great, but the other news was just as I expected. Una's thyroid was higher than it should be for her age. It was at 4.4 and the max is like 4.8. Una is only 8, so it's too high. She put her on a half of a pill once daily to (hopefully) get the numbers down.

Then she started bringing in lots of Hill's Prescription samples, plus two 4lb bags of food and canned food. She explained so much to us, I didn't even know which way was up. Luckily LaVaughn caught most of it. I'm not going to go into too much of what she said, so to make a long story short, both cats are on two diets that are polar opposites. Una needs high, high protein and low carbs, Zoe needs mild protein and low, low phosphorus. It's just like, oh my god. This food is also $24 per 4lb bag. Yikes, right? The cans are well over $1 each, but that's not as bad, considering we've been buying grain free foods, so they're all over that anyways. I'm just hoping and praying they eat this food. :(

This is why I hate going to the vet. I go there wanting to get good news, but I always expect bad news which usually it is. I'm so depressed right now. I'm sick, sad, tired and I feel like I want to hurl myself off of a cliff. I'm trying to think of the bright side, it could have been worse. It can ALWAYS be worse. Una's BS could have been higher, she could have to be in insulin immediately. She could have also been in full swing hypothyroidism. Zoe's kidneys could have been in much worse shape, she could have had another tumor. Things could have been worse, so I'm really trying to look at things that way.

In other news, we stopped at Hasting's on the way home. Everything of theirs is like 50% off now, it's insane. We got a couple True Blood POPS! for $5 each, which is a steal. The real winner is LaVaughn's Batman jacket that she got for just under FIVE dollars! I took the jacket up front and asked how much it was because it didn't have a price on it. She said they were $20, so she put a $10 price on the jacket. When we went to check out, the lady cut that price in half as well making it $5, I couldn't believe it. It was a total win.

So yeah, that's that. It's so late right now, I don't even know why I'm blogging. We didn't get out of the vets office until after 7, so it's nearly 11PM right now. I need to go. I need coffee and a xanax.

Here's a look at our new food:


And our new True Blood POPS!:



No comments: