The Need for Seeds

 This is probably one of my favorite parts of gardening. It's definitely the easiest, but that's not why it's my favorite. I get so much enjoyment watching things sprout and grow, even when I was a kid I was fascinated by it. I still remember being in first or second grade and growing a little plant out of an eggshell. Most of the kids were bored by it, but I was obsessed! If you're not into gardening, then you won't get the excitement of watching something sprout and then produce fuel for your body. It's still positively fascinating to me that you can grow your own food.

Yesterday we officially kicked off our planting season. We got our old starter planters out and went to town sowing seeds. We agreed to scale it down a bit this year, which was basically pointless because we planted an ungodly amount of seeds. And these are just the ones that we have to start in planters! I'm going to try recap everything we planted thus far: 12 long sweet peppers, 18 bell peppers, 8 jalapenos, 6 green beans, 4 watermelons, 24 lemon cucumbers, 30 regular cucumbers, 6 mystery squash, 12 hot house tomatoes & 24 cherry tomatoes.

Wow, doing a playback there really kind of stress me out, lol. I mean, you have to take into consideration that not all of these will sprout. I mean, there's always a chance they will, but roughly half will suffice. Like I said earlier, this is just the ones that we can start now. We still have loads of corn and lettuce that needs to be sown directly into the ground.

And I may or may not have ventured by the seeds when I was in Dollar General today. I also may or may not have bought some spinach, zucchini and okra seeds. Since we're out of planters and Miracle Grow soil, I'll have to stop by Walmart on our way home Monday and get another. Maybe even some more seeds at Buchheit's, you just never know.

Here's some random pics of the planters. These were taken on my phone in the garage yesterday due to the rain. Not the best quality, but at least you can see what we're working with.

Miracle Grow Potting Mix and our little seed planters.

Planter tray number one.

Planter tray number one finished.

Planter tray number two.

New seed packs.

No comments: