Taking Christmas Photos With Different Lenses

I was bored today and longing for Christmas decoration photos and even though it was still a smidge too light outside, I went for it. I'm in the process of trying to find my favorite lens for taking ornament pictures, but I'm struggling. Since the 105mm lens rarely leaves my camera, I just assumed it would be the best, but I don't think it is. 

I used my 40mm macro last year for most of the photos, which is one of my faves, but I honestly don't think I've touch it since I got the 105mm. I think I'm gonna dust it off next week and see how it looks on the 750. I've already used my 35mm a couple times this week and I'm honestly still so impressed with that lens. I'm kicking myself for not using it today, but hopefully next week sometime.

I'd also like to add that we were able to get tires on the car yesterday and thankfully made it Poplar Bluff to Christmas shop. It wasn't the best, but we did get a few things. The most exciting part was getting to try the new Beyond Chicken from Panda Express!

Anyways, here are some pics with a few different lenses, enjoy!


Tokina 11-20mm 2.8 lens:

Love the wide angle lens for getting pictures of the entire room.

It's kinda trippy.

It would be so much better if it was dark outside.

See, the effect isn't the same.

The tree is still beautiful, but it's too light outside.

New Rudolph ornament.

Last one with the Tokina.


Nikon 105mm 2.8 lens:

The 105mm has great depth.

But I don't think it's aperture is wide enough for the look I want.






High ISO Santa.


I like the warmth of this picture.




Nikon 85mm 1.8 lens:


The 85mm lens is so smooth!


And so crisp.


You can't hardly beat this lens.



The only downside is the ratio. It's around 1:7 and you need a 1:1 for good ornament pics.


Great present pictures with the 85mm lens.




This is one of my favorite ornament pictures. I feel it captures vintage Christmas.



The ornaments that I painted.

I think they look nice.



Back to the Tokina for s minute:

Waited a couple hours and took some more of the tree.

See how much better the Christmas tree lights look when it's dark outside?

I tried some high ISO settings here and thing they make for some vintage Christmas tree photos.

Something about this Christmas tree takes me back to the early to mid 90s.

These pics would've been better if the lights around the door were on, oh well.

No comments: