Introduction to Macro Photography (Nikon Micro-Nikkor 40mm F/2.8)

 If you know anything about me, you know how much I love photography. So receiving a lens for Christmas really is best case scenario for me. I was lucky enough to receive a macro (or micro) lens for Christmas this year and it's something completely out of my comfort zone. Nikon's 40mm 2.8 aperture fluctuates according the the lighting, which is something completely new to me. It's not as easy to get used to as my older lenses, so my beginning photos are still a little "meh".

The 2.8 is also new to me. All of my primes have a 1.8 aperture, so I'm used to adjusting the shutter and ISO accordingly, but this 2.8, albeit small difference, effects the lighting greatly. So none of my comfort setting work on this lens.

With that being said, I am obsessed with it! I remember back to my point and shoot days when you could get macro quality images without even trying. I've always loved macro photography, but when I save up enough money to make a new lens purchase, it's always for a less expensive prime.

So here are some of my first macro shots with my new lens. Some of these are from Christmas Eve all the way to the first week of January. They're nothing special, but I hope you enjoy!


Up close and personal with this Christmas ornament snowflake.

Cute lil snowman.

Super macro snowman.

Homemade lantern Christmas ornament.

Macro Christmas ribbon.

Tiny little Christmas presents.

This is the perfect macro Christmas present. I absolutely love the macro capabilities of the Nikon 40mm 2.8 Nikkor lens.

The following photos are a series of Christmas village people. Proceed with caution:

Macro shot of a singing lady... I think.

I'm guessing this is the local meth head.

The always surprised boy.

Christmas village fishing pals. The one on the left looks kinda like Ursula.

This Christmas village dad looks like he may cannibalize his daughter later.

This Christmas village guy looks like one of the 4 horseman.

Man on a mission. This Christmas village bread boy looks far too intense.

By far one of the best Christmas village ladies.

This looks like that salty old man that lives in the hills and only comes to town once a month for flour and evaporated milk.

Love the tiny little Christmas village animals.

Arthur Weasley's long lost brother that just got out of the drunk tank. I guess Christmas village people can be alcoholics too?

This is the Nazi Christmas village guy. His broom broke off, so it looks like he's doing the horrendous "white power" sign with his hands. I hate him.

Slightly decent, slightly deformed Christmas village couple singing in front of a church.

And lastly, Christmas village reindeer that look like llamas.

More of those wire Christmas trees from Dollar General.

Not the best macro shot, but it's okay.

See how close I got to this Christmas light bulb?

This was our Missouri snow storm in early January.

As you can tell we were snowed in for days.

No comments: