Reynolds County Fair or bust...

Yesterday was host to a great event. And yes, I'm talking about the annual Reynolds County Fair. A place filled with lots of rides, food stands and homemade crafts. But that's not all, the Reynolds County Fair is also home to a rodeo and apparently a racist clown, but we'll get to that later.

LaVaughn and I were invited out to the fair by our aunt and uncle. Of course we said we would go, and we did. The fair grounds are located in Redford, Missouri. A ghostly little town located in Reynolds County. I think the entire population of Redford was at the fair and about 500 more than that. I didn't expect to see such a magnitude of people, that's for sure.

The rides, stands and so on we're pleasant, but the heat was definitely not in our favor. We spent the majority of our time walking around and gazing at all there was to be seen. It was just after 6PM when we arrived, so we had a couple hours to burn before the 8PM rodeo. I spent the majority of my time taking photos and a few not so attractive videos. I managed to grab a lemonade before we headed to the stands at a little after 7PM. I'm glad we got seated early because the stands filled up fast!

We hadn't been setting for very long before they started bringing the sheep and bulls into the shoots. It's always entertaining to watch amatures try to handle livestock properly. Too bad I didn't get any videos of that. After that, they brought some huge speakers up by the announcer stand. And what do you think they were playing? That's right... country. Not my music of choice, but it seemed to please the crowd. I was hoping they might start the rodeo early, but they didn't. In fact, it was a little after 8PM before they started anything.

The opening rides were, correct me if I'm wrong, mutton busters? It's a simple little thing we're younger kids ride sheep. Apparently they allow infants to partake in this even now, which I thought was a little crazy. If a child can't hold its own head up, how is he supposed to hold himself onto a sheep? Anyway, that's what kicked off the Jr Rodeo. After that it was the calf riding I believe. That's where kids 10 and up ride calves or small cows, not exactly sure. We only watched a couple of those before we called it a night. It was already after 9PM and there had only been about 10 kids ride all together.

In between the rides, the announcer and the "headlining" clown, Gusher, talked and talked and talked some more. The announcer would announce one of the kids that was getting ready to come out of the shoot and then start talking/arguing with the clown. Then about 3 minutes later when the kid would actually depart from the shoot, the announcer wouldn't even notice and would still be arguing with the damn clown! They were completely unorganized and just awful.

At one point in the night, the announcer starting talking about Barack Obama and how much he didn't agree with him and so on. At the time, everyone was trying to catch a runaway bull. And of course, the bull was black. That's when the clown started his racist stint. He started by saying, "You know what this bull has in common with Barack Obama? Other than the color, he has a point over here and a point over there and a whole lotta bull in the middle." I'm not a woman of color and I was royally offended! As was LaVaughn. I mean, I don't agree with what Obama does most of the time, but why bring race into it? Small town equals small mind I suppose.

Like I said, halfway into the rodeo we decided to leave. We walked around for a bit more after than, but only for about 10 minutes. I was definitely relived to be home. You would think I had just did a 10K run after the event. I was completely wore out, lol. Anyway, that concludes our day yesterday. All in all, it was a good experience and something we'll remember for years to come. Just exclude the rodeo and the heat. Until next time, you know where to find me...

Love & Peace

-Megan

Song of the day: Are You Ready by AC/DC

Here are the pictures from the event:

 Yeah, we missed the demolition derby and the mud racing!

 Looks like it was fun.

 It's true. Every single person there had a bright orange wrist band.

 A hat and pillow stand? So strange...

 This was Gene's favorite place of the day. :)

 The Heart Flip Ride.


 This was just hair clips. This place seriously had some of the most strange stuff.

 The band.

 Not sure what this ride was.

 Giant dolphin slide.

 The Columbus.


 Haha, check out the guy with his leg all stuck out.


 Knit hats anyone?

 No clue...

 Is that really kids clothes for sale?

People were also selling jams and jellies. This is also probably one of my favorite pictures of the night.

 I don't even know...

 Hey, at least there was WiFi.

 Check out the guy staring at me, lol.

 The lone ranger without his woman.

 There were loads of kids with chaps on.



 It's a tough life...

 What a punk.


 She seems real enthused, doesn't she?

 I had serious beef with this kid.

 More chapped kids!

 Love this picture.

 My lemonade.

 It's almost as if the sheep is saying, "Help me."

 They're lovin it.

 And they caught me, lol.

 This kid had such pretty hair.


 Runaway balloons.



 Bugs!


 Gusher the racist clown...


 Love this picture.

 I don't even know, lol.


 I also love this one.

 And this one...

I think they need to fix some of their letters.

And now for the videos:







No comments: