Who said shipping a sugar glider was easy...

After several long conversations with several different people, we've finally figured out a good, working solution for all our sugar glider shipping problems! I know I haven't discussed shipping lately, that's mainly because we never really knew exactly what we were going to do!

Shipping a sugar glider has to be done with a large airline, like; Delta, Continental, etc. As I'm sure all of you know, places like these are in large cities. In our case, it's in Saint Louis at Lambert International Airport. I'm sure I've probably complained about driving in the city before - which I suck at - so you probably now know why shipping has been such a big issue.

After asking a couple people if they could help out -- which they couldn't -- I finally just decided that I would get my uncle to drive me. This would have been fine if we were just going once, but we had to make not one trip, but two. The first to pick up Cas and a second to drop the girls off. Not necessarily in that order. My uncle was more than fine with driving us to STL Monday evening to drop the girls off. Unfortunately, he could only make the trip once!

He's a truck driver and only makes it home one to two days every few weeks, max! So there was no way I could ask him to make two trips within 24 hours.

Tracy messaged me last night and asked if we could pick Cas up this coming Tuesday. As much as I wanted to shout from the rooftop, "Yes, yes, of course we can!" I knew deep down that it wouldn't be right if we got Cas before she got her girls. I told her to hold off so that I could see what I could get worked out with shipping the girls.

Tracy also mentioned that she didn't want the girls to have to stay overnight in the cargo area of the airport, so shipping the girls Monday evening was out. This was a big bummer, considering Monday was the only day my uncle could drive us. Tracy can't pick the girls up on Tuesday and my uncle has to leave out before Wednesday. We could never win!

I finally swallowed my pride and decided that I would ask Taylor, the lovely lady that lives in Highland, IL. I messaged her and asked if she would mind meeting me in STL on Tuesday evening, keep the girls overnight and drive them over to the airport the next day. I knew how much I was asking of her, but I was out of options. Believe it or not, she said yes! I told her everything that she would have to do - which isn't much - and she was more than okay with it!

If all goes as planned, we'll pick Cas up at the airport Tuesday, meet with Taylor shortly after and she'll ship the girls the next morning. They'll arrive at 5PM Seattle time - much better than the dreaded midnight! Taylor was okay with a morning flight, Tracy is trilled with their evening arrival and we'll be beating the shit out of two birds with one stone!

We sweetened the pot by telling Taylor that the first Platinum sugar glider born here is all hers. We had planned on giving her out first plat anyways, but wanted to go ahead and let her know. I think it's safe to say that she was just a tad excited. :)

Believe it or not, there is a downside to all this excitement. My uncle found out that he wont get to stay in until Tuesday, he has to turn around and leave the same damn day!! Grrr. So... it looks like I'll be driving in the city, whether I like it or not. Kind of makes you wonder if I'm just meant to drive myself. Hopefully it's not going to play out like a Final Destination movie! O.o

Okay, enough shipping talk!

LaVaughn and I got the ratties' cage set sewn up today. All together, there are 3 long hammock/bridges and 1 Glider Bucket. We had originally planned on putting these items in their large cage that we got from Stacie, but after analyzing the cage and seeing how things looked inside of it, we've decided to leave them in the cage that they're in now.

There's just something about that cage that seems cold and homely. It's almost like a prison cell, or some type of abandoned warehouse. The two large doors on the front make it nearly impossible to hang anything, which sucks. So, for now, they're staying in the cage they're in. As soon as we get everything put inside it, I'll post what it looks like.

My fingers are officially bleeding. I need to go now.

Love & Peace

-Megan

Here's the ratties' cage set.

No comments: