You lose some, and then there's Violet...

Since Violet has two joeys coming OOP very soon, I've been watching her like a hawk -- and Cas too. So every time I'm in the glider room, I grab the pouch out and check on her. So far everything has been going well. 

Last night, I was putting everyone's food dishes in their cage when I heard faint cries of a joey. With excitement overcoming me, I grabbed the pouch out to see who was detached! To my surprise, what I found was Violet cannibalizing one of the babies. I started to grab the baby from her, but it was too late -- she had already tore half of her face completely off. 

All this time I've been blaming Cas for the injuries that David sustained. All this time it was her... I should have known. After all, she did pull the first two sets of joeys that she had, I should have known. 

She's kept the other joey tucked in her pouch and has been singing to her non-stop. Not like that means anything, I might go in there one day and find the other joey cannibalized as well. This is the last straw for them, Cas is getting snipped and their babies will be no more. LaVaughn and I have considered re-homing the two of them, but I don't know that things will go that far, but you never know. 

The joey that she still has detached for a short period of time today. Long enough for me to hold her for a second and kiss her nose. I fear for her fate. If and when this little girl does detach, I'm not going to hold her, I'm not even going to look at her. I might get her out long enough to snap pictures, but then that's it for the next week.

And now kiddies, that concludes our lesson in breeding sugar gliders for the day. It's not all sunshine and rainbows...

Love & Peace

-Megan

No comments: