Temptations, frustrations...

So bad it makes me cry. For some unholy reason, LaVaughn and I decided to go to our local pet store today - knowing that if they had anything appealing, we'd get it. Since this place is not only a pet store, but a feed store as well, all the animals are hidden off to the side behind all kinds of animals supplies. As soon as we walked in, we quickly scurried to the back where all the pets were.

We looked the cages (rows of aquariums stacked up a wall) up and down to see if there were any rats. To our dismay, there were none. As we both turned to walk away, there sat a cage with two nearly full grown rats. As our eyes lit with excitement as we quickly made are way over. Noticing the "Do Not Touch" sign right away, I refrained from sticking my fingers in or around the cage -- despite the fact that both rats were trying their best to get to us. I slowly started to inch my wallet closer to the cage, just to see how they would react. As soon as it got in the little albino boys reach, he went wild! Biting, scratching and pulling with all his might, trying his best to tear whatever was in front of him. I pulled the wallet back and tried it with the other little guy -- same thing, just less aggressive.

We walked away from the boys, not thinking anything else about them. After all, what would we do with two fully grown, aggressive rats? After we walked down the small pet isles, we found ourselves walking back to the rats. We stood there and mulled the though of getting them over. Before we had a chance to say anything to one another, one of the workers shouted loudly from across the room,

"Hey ladies, can I help you with anything?" He quickly came from behind the counter and stood beside us. "See anything you like" he said with a twinkle in his eye.

"Not really, just checking out the rats." we replied.

He continued a rehearsed sales pitch for nearly 10 minutes. He kept saying how much they would love a new home where they could play and be around people that would work with them. Then he asked what type of cage we had.

We pointed at a larger cage with two stories and said, "Ours looks something like that, just a tad taller."

"That's perfect!" he shouted. "They would love something like that and love to get out of this small cage!"

This guys sales pitch was like no other.He was so good in fact, he already had us asking prices! I figured that they boys would have been on the cheaper side - considering they were fully grown and aggressive. This is the same place we bought Evan and Jonah from for only $4 a piece.

"Well, I'll tell you what," he said, resting his hand on his hip while the other waved in the air, "you give me an offer and I guarantee I will not turn you down."

I had limited cash on me and knew I couldn't pay a lot.The store doesn't take debit, which is where all my money is. After I asked how low he would go, he ran off to his bosses office to ask. When he returned, he said,

"Apparently they were more than what I thought, they're $5 each." he than proceeded to say, "But you wont find them any cheaper than that! If you go anyplace else, you're looking at $15 or more!"

Where does this guy buy rats from? They must have some fantastic lineage, because we just got our girls for $2 a piece last month! I hate how these small store people try and rip people off and feed everyone a line of crap! It really annoys me.

After I looked in my wallet, I saw that I had $6 and began to ask if he would take that. He stammered around and mumbled a couple incoherent things and said, "I'll have to check with my boss." he quickly scurried off to ask his boss.

As he walked back, he had his head down and followed with, "I'm sorry, we can't go any lower than that."

What happened to the "I wont turn down any offer" bit? I told him that's all I had and he kept trying to get us to take one and come back for the other. Since we didn't want to separate, we just asked him to hold them until Monday so that we could think it over. More than likely, we'll go back in Monday and pick them up...

Love & Peace

-Megan

No comments: